Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sew Birthday!

Sew, I generally only sew for myself or children, who aren't generally fussy.  I never thought I was good enough to sew for other people.  Well, my husband kept asking me to make him some things, but I was convinced that he would laugh at what I made, or think they looked "homemade."  Years ago, I took a "flat cap" apart and remade a new one for him that he loved, but over the years, I just never thought about sewing for him.  He always shows an interest in the things I make and is a huge supporter, so I'm not sure why I felt that way.

To get to the point, I decided for his birthday this May, I would make him a summer shirt and shorts.  I viewed a shirt and shorts on a Burda men's pattern sight and even downloaded the patterns, but I'm too lazy to tape them all together to make anything.  Sew, when I found Simplicity 5581, I knew I found a pattern he would like.  I made the shirt and it realy was pretty simple.  I set in the sleeves, though because I liked the way they look when they are set in.   I chose a quilt fabric that had passport stamps all over in a nice coral and tan color.  I then found some white pique to make him a modified cargo short.  He had a pair of white tennis shorts that he loved, but he is not a fan of the longer baggy shorts Americans are fond of.  Being British, he likes his closes to be a bit more fitted.  He also has very slim legs, and most baggy shorts swallow him and look goofy.

Sew, while the shirt was very straightforward, I've never made men's shorts before.  The pattern overall was simple, but the waistband was more complicated than any woman's trouser.  I had to really play with the design to get it right.  Since I shorted the legs, I also couldn't add the side pleated pockets.  I'd kind of like to have done those personally. 
As I was fitting the shorts, my husband kept saying they were too loose, so I adjusted the waist.  I should have trusted my own instincts because they were a little snug.  He hopes to lose another inch or two, but still.  Next time, I will trust my own instincts.

Sew, there you have it, I took a day off from work and made my husband something special.  Sew hopefully, it won't be long before I do it again.  Now that I figured out the pattern, I will definitely make the shorts again, perhaps with a different fabric.  Pique is a little odd.





In between the shirt and shorts, I also whipped out another version of Simplicity 8523 out of some stretchy lace, perfect for summer.  It was easy to whip out with the serger.

No comments:

Post a Comment