Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sew Sunday

Sew, being inspired on this issue of sustainability and wanting to add my two cents, I finally took a big leap and took some precious fabric I purchased years ago in England at a Sue Ryder shop for less that 2 Pounds.  They were curtains of this luxurious light Brocade fabric, soft, delicate with lucious yellow roses on a trellis textured background.
 Wrinkled, from being kept in a box, I was so scared to cut into it.  I decided to make a simple blouse, nothing too fancy, and then protect the seams with bias strip.  There was one area of the curtain that had frayed, so I had to cut around it.  Because of the design, I was worried that I would not be able to match the flowers or the line close enough to not look odd, but I worried for nothing. 
 The pattern I used was Simplicity 8523, view D.  Because the fabric had such a 50's, 60's feel, I wanted to add a collar, not quite peter pan, but close.  I created a collar that overlapped in front.

I didn't really follow the pattern,  I attached the sleeves in the flat way knit sleeves are installed to have a little control with the delicateness of the fabric.  It worked perfectly.  The back is a simple button closure at the neckline. 
I hope that you also like my blouse.  It was a joy to create.  And I love that it originally started as a set of curtains somewhere in England.  Until next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment