Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sew "So Zo"

I follow a blog called 'So Zo', http://sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com/, which has fabulous ideas regarding sustainability and refashioning.  I love her blog, not to mention, her dobbleganger works at the library system I work for.  She had one blog in which she refashioned a man's jean shirt into a blouse using pattern New Look 6808.  I loved the result so much, I thought I would do the same.

Alex had a cobalt blue shirt in a very light cordoroy that he never wore, and I had taken with the idea that I would refashion it.  I decided it was perfect for this project. 
Unfortunately, I couldn't remember where I put it.  After tearing my sewing room apart, searching all my drawers, closet, and fabric stash, I was folding some dark laundry, and there it was.  Apparently, it had somehow ended in the laundry bin.  What a waste of time. 

I made a collar from some leftover lace.  The only problem I had was not paying close attention to the tie, and sewing it a little too tight at the neck, giving it a little bunchy look.  But overall, I like the result and can't wait to wear it to work Mwhen it gets warmer.  I used some vintage shell buttons I got at a flea market. 
They were rust covered from the staple holding them to the card, but they came out pretty on the shirt. The hardest decision was picking the shell ones over the black glass buttons. 


"So Zo" also inspired me to not be afraid to change things.  I also refashioned a jumpsuit into a dress for a friend.  I made it as a jumpsuit (McCall's 6083) and found it incredibly difficult to get on and off unless you made it from stretchy fabric.  I had used a seersucker.  So my friend asked if I could refashion it into a short summer dress.  No problem, I just removed the added fabric in the legs,
and refit it.  The biggest problem was that I had used french seams to finish it and taking that all apart took some time.  But I think it came out really nice.  I sewed some fun buttons shaped like flowers and bugs, and added a macrame belt I picked up at a second hand shop.  I think it looks great.

I'll post a pic with my friend wearing it, because it really looks cute.

Sew until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment