Sunday, July 10, 2011

Never Too Old to Learn a New Lesson

Today I spent all day working on the cutest jumpsuit.  I bought a fabulous woven plaid in turquoise, white, and navy.  I decided I was going to take this simple project and make it more special by completely using french seams throughout.  I also changed the elastic waistband by creating a bias strip to cover the elastic so that everything was neat, tidy, and very professional looking.  Because of using french seams, it is more difficult to try the outfit on as you go.  It is more difficult to replace the seams once they are in. 

Even though I checked the pattern for sizing, I was mildly surprised to that the hips ran a little wider than the same size in a Simplicity pattern.  I used a McCalls and pattern reviews indicated no major problems except the bodice might be a bit short if you are long waisted.  So I cut the pattern to size based on the information I read.

It came out beautifully.  All the plaid lines matched.  I took extra time to make sure that seams matched.  I embroidered a bouquet of fabric flowers and butterfly shaped buttons to a bright collage of flowers acrss the upper right bodice.  Just beautiful.

Time to try it on.  Hemming of the pant legs was all that was left.  I was so excited....I inched it up my backside and then realized...It wasn't going any further.  Nada, no way,  my butt was too big. 

So now it it hanging in the closet with the hope I might lose a little weight and can wear it.  But lesson learned,  Try the outfit on by basting the pieces together before fancy stitching.  Oh well,  but at least it is beautifully done...

No comments:

Post a Comment