Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sewing Requires Patience and Attention

So this has been some sewing week.  I remind myself that the Shakers allowed some imperfection in their work becuase they believed only God was perfect.  I'd like to think that is why I have some many mistakes, but that would be a lie. 

So I started making my Vogue reversible swing coat.  It is faux suede on one side and faux fur on the other.  I used a beautifl tan suede and a rich brown textured fur for the other.  It is designed to roll the sleeves to display the reverse and the collar also opens to show the reverse. 

From the beginning, I have made mistakes.  When I cut out the front piece, in small print on the pattern states to include an additional length for the roll.  Why didn't they just add it to the pattern I wonder?  I worked around it by sewing on the additional length.  It will fold on the seam, so it won't be noticeable.  I also had to take the side pieces apart because I mixed the front side pieces with the back side pieces. 

I'm taking my time to make sure it looks good.  I think it will be fine.  It's only the second time I sewed with fake fur, and it's a bit messy and a little more tedious to sew.

I believe it is my opportunity to learn patience and attention to detail.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment